Transmission bills itself as a Fast, Easy, and Free BitTorrent client and that’s just what it is. It’s one of the first apps I install on a new Mac, I hear about it often in forums and podcasts, and it has a solid community behind it with a great team of developers. With that said, after a recent visit to the project’s website, I thought it could use a refresh—I thought, “I can’t contribute much to the project’s repo, but this I could do.”
Note: I’m sure that the folks at Stranded Design and Boolable are great, and I know that the site does what it needs to, but it seems neglected and I wanted to see what I could bring to it with a fresh coat of paint and a few odd and end improvements. Anything owned by Transmission is the sole property of Transmission I don’t own any of it. This is for demonstration.
Here’s What Went Into It
- A fresh WordPress install with my boilerplate setup to expedite editing the existing content and making it all more responsive.
- Some IA cleanup; simplified menu and some pages for simpler UX
- Held onto the colors; That made the existing site stand out to me.
- Improved accessibility by adding title attributes to many of the links, set external links to open in a new tab, removed broken links that I saw, etc.
- I renamed the Add-Ons/Resources page to Companions
- Added larger text, larger images, and white space to improve readability
- Added a dedicated contact page where visitors can mark the message as General or Security based. This way, there’s one spot they see to contact and not several, semi-hidden email addresses.
- Added some “quick links” to the footer globally
- I rewrote the Download page, now Downloads, with new icons and improved styling. I think I’m most pleased with the changes there.
- Added Simple SSL, Invisible reCAPTCHA, and WP Super Cache to handle always having SSL, to fight spam, and to improve load time
- Other odds and ends went into this, and I would list them all with a bunch of before and after photos, but I think it’d be easier to show you.
Here’s the existing site: https://transmissionbt.com/
Here are a few scrolling screenshots of what I put together:
What do you think? What else could I improve? With more time, there’s more I’d like to improve myself. Transmission, if you read this, I love the app. Let me know if you’d like an import file or if I might help with anything.